Lagos Hustler 2

From the previous part...

The Hustler continues
 
Although, I am not one of the churchy guys, but I prayed because of the prospect I felt would appear during and after the event. And, there I was, playing the devil? Oh no, I no be devil and I knew I had to prove it by not being late.
“Guy, he be like say you go pedal this thing well well small o!” I shouted to the okada rider who was doing nearly 80 already. Believe me, I wouldn’t have dreamt to see myself on an okada anywhere even in a nightmare! It was a novelty to me but I did not feel it as I continued to plead for increase in speed.
I looked into the speedometer and noticed that the guy was already above 90 which got me smiling with the thought of getting there not too late. And just as we passed by the Adeniji-Adele junction, I heard a loud sound, it was like a gunshot and it was so close to me. Before my brain that was already muddled with the thoughts of getting late to the office could come to terms with the reality of a burst tyre, I was already doing some superman moves in the air. I flew for some seconds before eventually rolling and tumbling on the tarred road.  If you called that “major disaster number two”, then you are in the spirit with me. The bag containing my laptop and papers meant for the guests laid everywhere on the road and tyres screeched to avoid climbing on them but to no avail. And of all the vehicles in the world, I wonder where the trailer came from, it was a trailer that eventually climbed on the bag the laptop was in and you can say it.... “I don enter”.
I shouted in hysteria like a man who just joined the league of the mentally unstable and as I looked around, a song of Alvin and the chipmunks titled “bad day” came to mind and the tears invented itself from my eyes. 
I looked all around and it was then I realized that I was not the only one who was involved in the accident. I looked behind to see the bike rider. His face was okay but I am not sure his body was because he was static on the ground groaning in pain.  Although the crash helmets saved our heads but not the man must have been  hurt in other parts of his body when he lost control of the bike. He had tumbled with the bike and it seems he couldn’t walk. Some of the hang-arounds in their usual style of helping the needy came around and I could hear him telling them to leave him alone and call the police or something. I judged that he was okay and could cater for himself and so, I decided that the best thing to do was to go on with my worries. He shouted at the hang-arounds to leave him alone again and. I wanted to help him but the thought of my job overshadowed that idea
I hurried into the traffic and tried to retrieve what I could of my rucksack of a bag. Immediately I got the bag, I got another bike and headed for the office, there will be no excuse for my boss. He hates excuses. And my situation is not even bad enough to qualify to be an excuse putting in mind that he would not entertain any excuse. I remember he jokingly said the only excuse he would think about would be death, the death of the employee that has an excuse.
Powered by Blogger.