I Am Backed By The Holy Spirit - Kevin Kay


Gospel Music
Kevin Kay Preaches From Cameroon

Bubbling with the zeal to propagate the gospel, Kevin kay is a man whose love for the thing he does is awesomely written all over his face, his gesticulations and his music.

His latest work exhibits dexterity, strength and determination to spread the gospel in an entertaining yet captivating style. In this interview with the Kingsley Momoh, publisher of PraiseFm Naija; the gospel minister who is from Cameroun exposes his ideas of the concept of gospel music and much more.
The excerpts are revealing.

How would you describe yourself?
Kevin Kay is a multi-talented contemporary gospel artist with a unique ability to sing across all brand of music. The name Kevin Kay spiritually means complete in Grace, So Kay is an artist with a unique style and belief system. Kay believes that He has a Force behind Him which is His source of inspiration. That Force is the Holy Spirit.

What makes gospel music different from other genre of music?
Firstly I will love to say gospel music is not a brand of music and it's not  even a music style,  Gospel music can be Hip hop, Rap, R and B,  Soul ,Jazz, pop ,reggae etc depending on the artiste, so saying I do gospel music is just a way of describing the part of music I took. Gospel means Good news so saying I do gospel music is simple telling my audience that my music carries the message of transformation, salvation and eternal life. Now that is the difference between Gospel music and secular music. It is described as gospel music when it preaches JESUS CHRIST, when it exalts God and also transforms lives.

What in particular do you hope to achieve with your music?
My music career Is a whole vision of transformation given by God through a man of God called Apostle Divine C. Okafor. While growing up I realized that Christianity is too cold and sometimes very boring, it made some Christians to leave the church, even some musicians in church left the music ministry and started secular because of how cold Christianity can sometimes be. So my aim is to make the Church a place to be; very entertaining and inspiring.
In the next five years I want to establish uncountable souls and talented people into the kingdom of God. I aim at using my music to transform and impact people with the knowledge and power of God.

How will you describe the response to your music so far?
My music carries a lot of mimshack anointing. This anointing has attracted and captured the heart of individuals towards my music and helped in spreading my songs across borders. Presently my recent song "It is done" is creating heavy waves in central Africa already, many people are yearning for it and many can't get tired of playing it. They just want to listen over and over again. So I think the world is ready to receive me and that's why I am putting all my energy in this career.

The main challenges of gospel music
In my area, one of the major challenges is church to church barrier. Artistes can't freely and openly come together and do something for God; they are verily stopped by their mentors. And until churches understand the meaning of unity then we will not fully utilize the music ministry God has given the church.

Is gospel music on the rise as a result of high rate of unemployment?
(Laughs) High rate of unemployment made people to start doing gospel music?  (Laughs) I can't stop laughing. Gospel music is on a rise now because the Holy Spirit is taking over people and the nations and not because the artistes are jobless.

How commercially viable is gospel music?
The bible says our gifts will make way for us, so I think gospel music ministers have the right to approach their music career as a business where they can actually make a living out of it. It's a good ground for investment. Once the mission is tilted toward transforming or changing a life, it's an exchange of spiritual for physical.

What does it take to be a gospel artiste?
All you need to become a very good gospel artiste is a mentor (most likely a pastor), a platform your passion and the Holy Spirit that comes through the knowledge you acquired from the word of God.


1 comment

TEKE SPENCER said...

This is a wonderful, expression from my friend and a brother KAY, truly the HOLY SPIRIT is the man behind you. Our Father ADCO(M) said it and its evident. More Grace SIR.

Powered by Blogger.